Sunday, July 6, 2008

"I'll be leaving Tennessee on the first plane."


"Tennessee, you've been good to me 
Yes, I've come to believe you're where I wanna be 
You may not be what everybody needs 
but Tennessee, you're good enough for me 


I can see stars shining in your night 
Your daytime seems like Cash and Patsy Cline 
They may not be what everybody needs 
But they touch my soul 
That's good enough for me 

It's been ten years now, and I'm rooted in your soil 
I am rooted in your soil 
Give me ten more years, I'll be rooted in your soil 
Right here in your soil 

You may not be what I will always need 
But I call you home 
If I can call you home 
Then you're good enough for me" 

-Mindy Smith

I never allowed these words to mean more than song lyrics. I can't say that I ever wanted Tennessee to feel like home. But it does. So, as I pack my things and sleep in a different Tennessee city each night, I realize how connected my heart is to the place that I have feared to call home. Nashville, Murfreesboro, Franklin, Johnson City, Knoxville, etc. 

They may not be what everybody needs, but they touched my soul and that's good enough for me.

Tennessee, you will always be home to me. So this isn't goodbye, just "see you later!"

1 comment:

Unknown said...

... and so He directs your path, for work that is unfinished, with every intention of keeping you safe and fully able to share in His will. Entries like this remain the very reason why we pen all we can... for the journey.